Friday, September 4, 2009

It's September, potatoes and mushrooms.

It's September now. Wow. Really? I finished up my last class of summer school refresher courses this week. Well it wasn't a failure like I thought, and kids enjoyed it. I have a feeling my time here will go by very fast. It's never a dull moment and even when it seems as though I'll have a dull moment, something exciting happens. September also means- time for potatoes, and well August means Mushrooms here. So the town has been busy picking both. With the addition of gathering wood for the winter it's exciting. Everyone moving. The potatoes here are super sweet. They make delicious french fries. Yes. I make french fries. I eat them with vinegar and sometimes I make honey mustard.

I've been researching a few different things for other small projects recently and I think I found some kids interested in an ecology/geo-cache club.
Another volunteer about 50 km North and I may collaberate on it so that his kids and my kids could go on hikes together and such. We met up yesterday to discuss possibilities. We'll probably talk more about it next week as we have a conference to go to, but we figured it was a good way to get to meet up and see each other, it's been about 5 weeks. Well when we met up in a town equally far (about half way for each of us) to our surprise we hardly spoke any English. Um...it was weird. I couldn't quite put my finger on it at the moment but- you know someone speaks English, yet you look at them talking in Bulgarian it was very mind-boggling. We talked for about 2 hours on logistics, interest, and just the ideas of how it could work. We also were able to catch up on other things as well.

This weekend is the town holiday and hopefully it should be good. I'm hopeful the weather will hold out and that maybe my internet inviting (per the request of the Mayor) worked. Even if only 20 people come, well I'll consider it a small victory. From no internet presence 2 weeks ago...small steps. I was waiting for a ride yesterday (which can sometimes take a while) and I snaped this photo that I though was glorious...yes glorious.





PS. Ravens are 4-0 in Preseason...the last time they did that was in 2000. Was that the year they won the Superbowl? Oh that's right it is. Coincidence? Pure Skill? I'll go for the latter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eat lots of mushrooms and potatoes to keep up your energy so you can keep the posts coming. Working for development means being dedicated to hanging in there... 'Turning on the lights' is quite a wonderful task that can be quite fulfilling.

Thessonalonki is a great place to visit when you have a free moment....but I bet you'll find lots of neat sites in Bulgaria...