Saturday, June 13, 2009

One for the books...


You know sometimes how you feel like you could be in the final scene of Hannible Rising? You know the part where Anthony Hopkins is on the plane and starts to eat human brain? Then a kid asks for a bite unknowingly to his knowledge that what he is eating is actually a human brain? Well…sheep’s brain is quite tasty especially with almost a full ounce worth of Texas Pete’s Hot sauce on it. Good god. Really? I just ate brain. How do I know you might ask? The fact that brain is unmistaken able when it is oven cooked. Maybe the fact that I saw my Baba break open the skull. Or maybe the fact that she took the time to find the English translation in the dictionary for me and try to pronounce it in English. None the less it was quite good. It’s like mashed potatoes with a hint of meat taste. Really? Did I just describe my brain eating experience? I’m at a loss of words. My side dish. French fries. They were great. The twist….they were served on top of sheep intestine. How do I know this? Well the fact that my host father was slurping this substance up like spaghetti was one hint. The other was the fact that my grandmother kept saying “baaaaa” every time I said “what is this” in Bulgarian. The last piece of meat I had gotten through probably one of the toughest meals in a long time. This beats asparagus by a long shot. I dipped my last piece of meat in my hot sauce and flip it over. It was the eye. Yes, a sheep’s eye. My meat was staring me down. I took a bit of moonshine to numb my stomach and took the last bite. Followed by a good amount of wine to wash it down. What a meal. Mom. I love your cooking, but nothing beats my best meal ever.

3 comments:

babykix04 said...

The Rwanda is me! Because I'm in Rwanda...and loving it. And already talking with local NGOs about getting a job here. Did I mention I love it? Aaaaand there's an amazing PCV who took on the orphanage as a second project. So yeah, I love Rwanda, can't wait to hear more about Bulgaria.

Erica Burman, NPCA said...

All I can say is BLEHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! I never could deal with organs. Obviously a failed PCV.

Dani. said...

i guess vegetarians or vegans are sol? lol